Memories of Music


 It's an old story, dated  academic year 1993-1994... the initial days of my college life. 

Yes, those were the days when we had 2 years of Pre-degree after 10th grade. Even though I was a 11th/12th grader, I was already in college. One exciting milestone that was!! 

Enormous classrooms with 60+ students, teachers who would stand on a 'stage' to lecture to their massive audience, students who didn't care what was going on, nicknames for teachers, principal, and anybody and everybody, couples who used to bunk classes and hang out in pre-assigned lover's corners, student wings of the political parties and their activities, mini-ragging..... the list is endless. Though all this was new and quite strange to me, I was beginning to let all this sink in and was enjoying the period.

I don't remember correctly, but I think it was somewhere in the months of September/October. The time for University Youth Festivals. Thanks to my music teacher, Dr Aswan Elias Thomas, even though I was a beginner and was just around 8-9 months into my formal training, I mustered the courage to give my name in for the competition under the category 'Instrumental music-Western'. According to the competition rules, no electronic instruments were allowed, only stringed instruments, wind instruments and percussion.  Mine being the keyboard, I had two options....either grab a piano from somewhere and register under stringed instrument category, or find a pedal organ (yes, there is such a thing!) and register under the wind instrument category. The latter being the easier option, (borrowed it from a priest who lived nearby) there I was..."Priya Susan Zachariah, 1st year pre-degree, Western music-instrumental, wind category". 

(I know it's starting to sound a bit weird already, but wait till I finish with this flash back!!) 

Anyway, thanks to my lucky stars, I qualified from my college and got selected to participate in the University Youth Festival.

Fast forward to present day: I'm sitting at the dentist's clinic (the dentist is my senior from the same college) when a couple of men walk in. I recognize one of them immediately. He was one of the leaders of the student political party in my college. (Those days, the ruling students party in college would do everything needed to help the candidates for competitions and the like. So...I, like the other candidates, was quite popular among these young men.) Few minutes into waiting in the clinic, this guy leans forward to ask...."Bishop Moore-il padichathalle?" (....meaning....You studied in Bishop Moore college, right?). Fully aware of and dreading the next question, I smiled at him and nodded. And then he smiled and popped the next question....University winner?  സുഷിരവാദ്യം??? ( sushiravaadhyam- The Malayalam word for 'wind instrument' which literally translates to 'hole' 😱 - 'instrument'.) And that was my nickname for the next year and a half in that college. There were even some chettans who shortened that and called me 'സുഷൂ....' (Sushoo). 😜

I don't know if it was embarrassment on hearing that word again, or the pleasure of being recognised and remembered from 25 years ago, I'm sure I turned red. 

We continued to exchange pleasantries and engage in catching up, until my dentist friend called me in a minute later.

In the picture is the memento I was awarded by Om Puri (chief guest at the prize distribution function) and his beautiful wife.


~priya~

Comments

Popular Posts